So what was done?
- Fixed a bug in the bake file saving code. Now you shouldn't get "stuck" as was happening before.
- Found and fixed 2 bugs in the simulation code. It now should be more accurate. Note that in the advanced options you can select a single pass simulation mode. It might be faster, it will certainly be less accurate and may need smaller time steps.
- Implemented a direct gradient finder for the ray tracer.
- Provided a good default for max gradient. This makes ray tracing much faster. You might get some rendering artifacts however. Just increase the max density adjustment under the views and previews panel. Thanks goes to Peter for implementing this suggestion so quickly.
- Fixed a another bug in the bake file saving where the y velocity component was getting placed on both the y and z axis. This would cause rebakes to be totally incorrect.
- The coordinate system is now world coordinates, not the physics plugin local coordinates. This will change the direction gravity acts. Default is the -z direction.
- Moving between frames with a lot of particles was very slow. This has been somewhat fixed and should be a lot faster now.
Now it works and only 12 mins to render.
Don't forget with these render times that I have a AMD X2 5000 and use java 1.6 (about 1.5x faster than 1.5). The simulation time was under 10 mins, but i don't remember exactly how long it was. Also the simulation code is single threaded at this time.
And almost forgot. The Plugin is in the same place. Here